About Me

My photo
Back to the beginning: Price and I met at YHS my freshman (his sophmore) year and dated for the next three years. After Price graduated, he joined the military and was stationed in Beautiful San Diego. Shortly after I graduated, we were married and had our 1st little man on the way: Preston Barrett Walling, born 2/2/07. We bought our 1st home in May 2009 and Little man #2, Ethan Jefferson Walling, followed on 7/29/09. As if life wasn't already crazy enough after that, we welcomed baby boy #3, Maverick Charles Walling on 11/20/2011 and our first girl (and Dog) Lucy in January 2012. We're still in San Diego, living one adventure after another!

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Shepards Pie (remix)

These days i pretty much only cook for myself. Price is now in Georgia, my mom is in Italy, and the boys eat the majority of their meals at daycare(and won't eat the same stuff as me anyway). So basically i cook one meal on Sunday or Monday night and then divide it by 5 and eat the same thing every night for dinner. It saves me a ton of time and dishes and i have no problem eating the same thing everyday. Now that i am approaching the end of this pregnancy and am getting increasingly more tired and have less and less room in my stomach for large meals, I'm trying to get as much protein and iron in one meal as possible...thus resulting in my "remix" of a Shepard's pie. I don't use a recipe and don't really measure the ingredients out, so this is Rachel Ray style...

approx 1 lb ground beef or turkey
1 box frozen spinach
3 or so eggs
a hand full of baby carrots finely sliced
6 or so stems of asparagus thinly sliced
i used about 6 mini bell peppers but u can use 1-1 1/2 large bell peppers,sliced
1/2 white onion
4 cloves garlic
1 frozen pie crust
several slices pepper jack cheese
3 red potatoes
milk
butter
salt
pepper
hot sauce of choice (i use California Hot or Tapitio)

Saute the peppers,carrots and asparagus in one pan with salt and pepper, boil potatoes in another pot(i leave the skin on because i like it and I'm lazy), brown the meat with onion and garlic until cooked fully. Microwave the frozen spinach in a large bowl for approximately 3 minutes or until soft, and then wring all the water out with a thin towel. Preheat the oven to 350 while all this is cooking

When everything is fully cooked, add it all into the large mixing bowl with the spinach. Mix well. There will most likely be a lot, so i Divide it in half and freeze some for next time. Once you have the right amount in the bowl, add the eggs and mix well.

Once about half of the mixture is spooned into the still frozen pie crust, top with a layer of pepper jack cheese. Finish filling the pie crust with the meat/veggie mixture and top with more cheese. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for approx 30-35 minutes.

While pie is cooking, blend boiled (and drained) potatoes with milk, butter,salt and pepper. You now have mashed potatoes! When pie has finished baking, top with mashed potatoes and put under the broiler for about 5-7 minutes.

I really need to master the broiler. I always check my food when the timer goes off and think it needs another minute or two...it really doesn't! I always end up slightly (or really) burning whatever I'm cooking, as seen in these pictures. :)

Once cooled, slice, top with hot sauce and ENJOY!!

So now you all know what i am eating for dinner this week. And since i have an extra pie crust and frozen filling, most likely next week too!

Happy meal times!

Lots of Love and Bunches of Hugs,
XOXO Brogan Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment