About Me

My photo
Back to the beginning: Price and I met at YHS my freshman (his sophmore) year and dated for the next three years. After Price graduated, he joined the military and was stationed in Beautiful San Diego. Shortly after I graduated, we were married and had our 1st little man on the way: Preston Barrett Walling, born 2/2/07. We bought our 1st home in May 2009 and Little man #2, Ethan Jefferson Walling, followed on 7/29/09. As if life wasn't already crazy enough after that, we welcomed baby boy #3, Maverick Charles Walling on 11/20/2011 and our first girl (and Dog) Lucy in January 2012. We're still in San Diego, living one adventure after another!

Saturday, January 28, 2012

A southern meal

Since I've been on maternity leave I've been trying to make dinner every night. Most of the time its kind of the same thing; grilled chicken, a veggie and a starch. Last night our dinner fit the same format but was far from healthy and had a little southern flare. We had fried chicken, Mac and cheese with bacon bits and buttered,garlic, cheesy green beans. This was the 1st time I've fried chicken. It was much easier than what the directions led me to believe. Here is a very brief description of how I did it. P.s. this is in my own words and from memory so bare with me.
1st; put several chicken breasts in a ziplock bag and pound to the thickness of choice and then cut into smaller pieces
2nd; put chicken strips in a bowl of buttermilk and let sit while you prepare the flour mixture
3rd; in a separate ziplock mix flour, paprika, salt, pepper and bread crumbs. I just dumped everything in and didn't measure anything.
4th; put a few pieces of chicken in the bag at a time and shake until well coated. Lay chicken on a cookie sheet and cover with wax paper until the coating on the chicken begins to look like a paste. I waited about 20 mins
5th; pour veggie oil in a large pot (I used a cast iron pot that worked really well) let the oil get REALLY hot before putting the chicken it. I set the oil on almost high heat for 20+ minutes. I discovered Veggie oil doesn't splatter.
6th; once oil is hot and the coating in the chicken is at the right consistency, drop as many pieces of chicken into the pan as will fit. The recipe advised to cook on hight heat until brown and then turn down to a Low heat and cover for 30 mins. I think because of how hot my oil was and how thin my chicken was, it cooked SUPER fast. After about 8 minutes, in pulled the strips out and drained on a few paper towels.
Finally, pile everything on your plate and enjoy!!
..... And I wonder why I'm not losing weight! ;)

Lots of Love and Bunches if Hugs,
XOXO Brogan Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment