About Me

My photo
Back to the beginning: Price and I met at YHS my freshman (his sophmore) year and dated for the next three years. After Price graduated, he joined the military and was stationed in Beautiful San Diego. Shortly after I graduated, we were married and had our 1st little man on the way: Preston Barrett Walling, born 2/2/07. We bought our 1st home in May 2009 and Little man #2, Ethan Jefferson Walling, followed on 7/29/09. As if life wasn't already crazy enough after that, we welcomed baby boy #3, Maverick Charles Walling on 11/20/2011 and our first girl (and Dog) Lucy in January 2012. We're still in San Diego, living one adventure after another!

Friday, August 26, 2011

Brown thumb to Green

I have ALWAYS had a brown thumb. Seriously, I'm not exaggerating. I was never even been able to keep a little bamboo plant alive when we lived in our apartments. But now that we have a house, I'm trying to learn my way around the plants and keep them green. AND by golly, I think I may be starting to figure things out!

This is the way our front yard looked when we bought it.


We didn't do anything in the front for the 1st few years other than pull weeds and sweep every now and them. There has been so much to do on the interior, that the outside of the house was just not important. But, now that things are coming together, I'd like the exterior to not look like such an eye sore. I can't wait for the bars to come off, new windows to go in, and the stucco to be put up, but for now, with the few extra dollars I have, flowers are all i can manage.

These little babies have taken a life of their own! They were just single stems of flowers all separated out, but now have grown huge and multiplied and taken up every square inch of room in the planter.

There is this really ugly cinder block and iron gate that goes around the house, but it's nice because we can keep the kids off our busy street. Besides being ugly, the iron part has big dagger like points all over it. The boys are getting big enough that they like to climb up and sit on top of the cinder block sections. I'm scared one of these days they are going to slip and impale themselves on the fence, so i bought these vining plants that are covered in big thorns to wind around the fence. I know a few people who have these in their yards, and they get really thick and stay colorful all year. I'm hoping they take and they give us a little more privacy and keep the kids off the fence.

I'm not sure what that little palm tree looking plant is, but its been the same since we moved in. One week a year, it gets these HUGE white flowers on it. Then they die and you have to wait a whole other year to see them again. I put in some snapdragons and some ground cover. The ground cover has only been in about a week but I'm hoping soon it will completely cover that little area.

I LOVE these flowers, especially the color. The purple vines in the background were already there as well as the bush that these are on. I've just been pruning them back and trying to tame them along the fence, but the flower all year which is great!

Another very large bush with pretty flowers on it that I'm trying to tame.

This is the corner of the front yard. I'd really like to get rid of all those rocks and put some grass out there, but i don't know how to get rid of all the stones and I'm nervous about how hard it would be to grow grass...maybe next year that will be my project.

There is one area of gardening that i have not made any progress in...transplanting trees. There are about 4 dead ones in the back yard and now this one. This ugly thing in the pot was left in the corner of of our yard for who knows how long. It was really pretty but the previous owners never removed it for the plastic tub it was purchased in, so the roots had grown through the plastic and into the ground. I had to dig it out and cut all the plastic off. I'll admit, it did just sit in the driveway for a while before i put it in soil, but still. I used good soil and have been using Miracle Grow once a week but i swear this thing is getting more brown! At this point I'm pretty sure it is a lost cause and I'm going to just have to get a new plant when Home Depot has a sale.Oh well. Hopefully one day I'll master the transplanting thing...



Hopefully I haven't just jinxed my newly acquired green thumb! Happy gardening!

Lots of Love and Bunches of Hugs,
XOXO Brogan Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment