About Me

My photo
Back to the beginning: Price and I met at YHS my freshman (his sophmore) year and dated for the next three years. After Price graduated, he joined the military and was stationed in Beautiful San Diego. Shortly after I graduated, we were married and had our 1st little man on the way: Preston Barrett Walling, born 2/2/07. We bought our 1st home in May 2009 and Little man #2, Ethan Jefferson Walling, followed on 7/29/09. As if life wasn't already crazy enough after that, we welcomed baby boy #3, Maverick Charles Walling on 11/20/2011 and our first girl (and Dog) Lucy in January 2012. We're still in San Diego, living one adventure after another!

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Ethan is Two years old!!!

AAHHHH!! Where have the past two years gone?!? On July 29, 2009 we welcomed our second little Walling man, Ethan Jefferson, into the world. Now, he's all grown up! Ethan is quite the little bully, but also such a cuddle bug. He is now at the age where he is copying EVERYTHING Preston does. This has been both hilarious and scary since Preston is not the most fearless 4 year old. Those boys have a fantastic bond and I love watching their adventures everyday!

I've made an oath to myself not to buy anymore birthday cakes and to try to be a little more creative every year. Since Ethan is VERY much OBSESSED with Mickey Mouse, I bought my first cake pan and took a crack at it. It was much easier than i thought! Granted, I bought a very basic cake pan, but having mastered that (at least in my eyes) I feel like i can move onto something more difficult for the next birthday/family event.



I tried to do things in stages so I wasn't rushed and didn't half ass it like I usually do when I'm tired (please excuse my language). So I made the frosting (I refuse to buy tub frosting unless it will be used to dip Oreo's into) a day before and mixed in the colors and separated it. This was the 1st occasion I have used shortening in frosting, I usually just double the butter. It wasn't bad doing it the correct way :) And I refrigerated it overnight. Then I made the cake and sat down to start decorating. I like to keep a ton of frosting bags around but regular Zip locks (with the tip taped off) work as well. I was lazy (I couldn't escape a complete half-ass job) and didn't go back to Michael's to buy the proper size frosting tips, so I used what I had and it worked.



Here is the end result! With the exception of the weird eye, I really liked it. So did Ethan! YAY!! Success! Because we left for Santa Cruz the day before his birthday for my sister Karlene's wedding, we didn't have a party, but we took the cake along and let the kiddo's (and some adults) enjoy the sugary treat.



Ethan, with Preston's help of course, opened a few gifts from his Amma before we left.



The Mickey Mouse sleeping bag/nap blanket was a big hit. Especially with Sydney. Her birthday is in a few short weeks (she and Ethan are 5 weeks apart) and I'm on the hunt for a Minnie Mouse one.



The "I'll cry if i want to" birthday boy also got a lot of gifts while we were in Santa Cruz, but because of his attitude, we decided to have him open them in increments to try to make him as happy as often as possible. Preston also helped with each of those gifts...what are big brothers for, right?!?



I really hope the next few years go by much slower. The two's to four's are not the easiest, but I'm sure I'm going to miss these days when my boys are big and grown :( Happy Birthday Ethan, we love you VERY MUCH!

XOXO Brogan Lee (a.k.a. Mommy)

No comments:

Post a Comment